If you are thinking of starting a home catering business, there are many things you should consider. Of course, if you have a great passion for cooking and are really good at it, you are a step ahead of the game. But there are other details you need to think about to be successful!
Before you begin any type of self employment you need to make sure that working for yourself is truly what you want to do. Are you self motivated? Can you make out a business plan? Will your finances suffer if you try to make a go of it on your own? Starting a home catering business can be fun and very profitable, if you do it right.
Make sure that you have the dedication and perseverance it takes to run your own business. In a catering business, you need to find out what all of your costs will be and what your competition is doing before you begin. Writing out a business plan is also necessary to insure your success.
Here are a few things to consider when starting a home catering business:
1. How much is it going to cost upfront? Make sure you include costs for any equipment you may need, such as stoves or other cooking appliances if you aren’t able to do the preparation at your own home.
2. Are you considering mobile catering? If so, think about expenses for buying a trailer to travel with, along with gas and food costs.
3. How will you market your business? Placing an ad online and in your local phone book are good ideas, along with business cards and flyers. You might also consider advertising on the radio if it is within your budget.
4. What is your competition doing? This may be the most important step of all in your planning. You need to know how much your competition charges, and what types of food they prepare.
5. Payment terms – Will your customers pay you before the service, or when completed? Consider how much money you will need to purchase food and other necessary items. You will also need to think about transportation for the meal, and how you will keep it warm while travelling to the event.
These are just a few thoughts about starting a home catering business. You really want to make sure that you have thoroughly considered every detail, so that there are no surprises when you start your business.
This can be one of the most fun and rewarding types of home businesses if done right. The fact that you love to cook will make it much more enjoyable, and when you love your work you are usually much more successful in what you do.
Need more help in starting a home catering business? Visit the links below!